10/4/09

Mixed Emotions

September 29, 2009 was a day of mixed emotions for me.

On the one end of the spectrum, as many of you know, was the tsunami that hit the islands of Samoa and American Samoa, along with others. What a tragedy for those living there! My heart goes out to the families who were affected by this disaster. Many people lost loved ones, their homes, and their belongings. As I looked at pictures posted on the internet, it makes me so sad seeing the people that I love so devastated. I look at the pictures of the mothers carrying their children who have died into the morgue and I can only imagine how much their heart aches having to bury their children so young! We found out that most of Ioelu's immediate family is ok, but he has an older brother who lived in a village that was hit hard. The village was leveled and we have no idea where his brother, his wife, or his five kids are. They lived very close to the beach and right now the only speculation we have is that they were washed out to sea. And if that is the case, may they rest in peace and wait until we meet again! I am so blessed to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints! The knowledge of what happens after we leave this life and that families are forever has really gotten us through this terrible tragedy.

ON the other end of the spectrum, Krisalyn turned 5 years old. I really can't believe I have a 5 year old. No, she is not in school yet which I know she is a little bummed about, but next year she will have her chance to finally go to school! That will be very crazy for me...I know! Anyway, we had her birthday party last Friday and she had such a good time. She had a butterfly theme party and I really tried to keep it low budget, so I made the cake a pinata. I got most of the things we needed from the dollar store, and found these cute butterfly nets on clearance at Tuesday Mornings, that I used for the goody bags. I took pictures of everything except the goody bags...unfortunately I didn't have enough for my kids to get one, so I can't really recreate it...all well, just believe me when I say that they were cute! Here are some pictures of the party.

3 comments:

The Varo's said...

i am so sorry about ioelu's brother and his family! what a blessing the gospel is during times like this. the people of samoa are in our prayers.

i can't believe krisalyn is 5! i remember her cute curly hair she had when she was a little chubby baby. you have the mexican seal of approval on the pinata...good job!

Karla said...

I keep thinking about Ioelu's family... I cry when I see all the pictures of the devistation... it is just so sad.

On the other subject you totally rock as a mama party planner! Great job. I love the cake and the kids look like they are totally having a blast. I love Williams long locks too... ahh. :)

Annie said...

I also keep thinking about Ioelu's family, such a devastating time for everyone on the islands.

And Happy Birthday to Krisalyn! I can't believe she is 5...our babies aren't babies anymore!